Friday, May 17, 2013

Allergic to peanuts

I don't think I've talked about this here but our doctor advised us not to give Chase peanuts until 2 years of age. We have no family history of peanut allergies but we trust our doctor and peanuts aren't a food that a child "needs".

I gave Chase peanut butter for the first time this morning. I had benadryl ready to go but figured everything would be fine. I took pictures. He said yum. Then he started acting weird.

I couldn't tell if he was just acting weird because it is a new texture. It was a little like watching a dog eating peanut butter. I got nervous and called my dad. I told him I was freaked out and Chase was kind of acting weird. Chase stopped eating the peanut butter and kind of made his mama I'm not feeling good sound. My dad reassured me that he was probably fine.

Chase acted like he wanted to go outside but I was still nervous. He sneezed and acted like his nose was itchy. Then the hives appeared. I tried to call my mom but my stupid phone deleted a lot of my contacts. I think I called my dad and said he had hives and my dad said give him the benadryl and call the advice nurse. I gave Chase benadryl and called my mom some how.

Chase seemed a lot better after I gave him the benadryl. I called the advice nurse and she seemed a little freaked out. She was glad I had the benadryl and told me to give him more so he got the full dose for his weight. She said watch him and made an appointment for 4:45.

My friend was already on her way over for a playdate while all this was going on. I of course meet her in the driveway in tears. Luckily her hubby is a doctor and she's amazing and totally understands. So Chase and his friend played and we chatted and then I could tell he wasn't feeling well. Then he threw up. So my sweet friend got on the phone to the pediatrician and said my friend needs to be seen sooner. Got us an 11:15 appointment! My dad came over to go with us to the appointment.

The appointment was kind of uneventful. Chase was totally fine at this point. But we were prescribed an epi pen and sent to the lab for a nut panel. I had no idea what to expect. They draw the child's blood. Of course we got the trainee that couldn't do it right the first time but Chase was so tough got pricked twice and didn't cry.


10 comments:

  1. First of all, what are you blaming yourself for? You did what the doctor said and if he has allergies, you couldn't prevent that.

    I am a 2-3 year old Sunday School teacher and sooo many of the kids have peanut/tree nut allergies. We actually only do peanut-free snacks, and I think most schools do, too. All of the children with allergies come from great parents - again, nothing you can do, friend!

    It must be tough to have a child with allergies. I don't, so I don't know what it's like. But 3 of my good friends have children with peanut allergies. People are being much more careful about it now!

    I will be in prayer for you. I hate that you are doubting yourself as a parent. It is obvious how much you love being a mommy! Don't give yourself such a hard time. From what I can see, you are a wonderful parent!!

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have absolutely no reason to blame yourself!!! You are a good Mom and there is no reason that you should feel bad. It happens and there is nothing that you can do. Don't listen to the negative people who want to make you feel bad! Hugs and prayers!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You didn't do anything wrong, these things happen!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. We think Quinn is allergic too. It's hard to say because he's had pb with no reaction before and then he's had pb with a reaction several hours later. We go to an allergist June 20th and until then we have an epi pen. I feel for you. I don't want Quinn at the nut free table either. :(

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Meagan- I'm not sure if you saw that Ana had an anaphylactic reaction to tree nuts last month. It was the scariest moment of my life. We also just did the blood test (we had to wait awhile because she received steroids after the reaction) and we just saw an allergist this week. We also came home with an epi pen and I cleared out my cupboards of everything that said "may contain peanuts or tree nuts." The last month has been extremely hard making the adjustments and being scared of something causing the reaction again. In this short time we've had to change a lot of our behavior because of this. Basically: I understand how you are feeling. I've been worried about all sorts of things- fear of her having another reaction to fear she will never be invited anywhere because people won't want to deal with her allergy. I'm afraid I have to be "that" mom that causes problems in school and soccer practice and everywhere else. It's only been a month, but I can assure you that it starting to feel a little less overwhelming and a little more manageable. As I learn more, I feel more confident in being an advocate for my daughter. I'm thinking of you all! Let me know if you have any questions!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You followed your child's Dr's (who I'm sure you trust otherwise you'd switch Drs) advice, how is that wrong? He may very well have had the allergy if you gave him peanut butter at 1, so please don't blame yourself for a nut allergy or for not giving him nuts earlier. It's so common now and most schools (at least around here) are completely nut-free, so no special tables or whatever for kids with that allergy.

    The blood draw is so hard to watch. Landon flipped when we had to get it done for an iron issue about 6 months ago. I'm glad Chase handled it better!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I know how overwhelming it feels when you first get an allergy diagnosis. I personally don't think it would have been any different if you'd have given nuts to him earlier. It would have been the same situation, just sooner, and possibly more severe if he wasn't able to give you signs to stop. I don't usually feel judged as an allergy mom except by people who think I'm overreacting. Now it's just a way of life, and honestly? Because of all of the research I've done on foods, I've learned so much and we eat (and are) so much more healthy.

    ReplyDelete
  8. There is no need to blame yourself.
    This would have happened regardless whether it was you giving him the peanut butter or someone else. Atleast he was able to show you it was irritating him.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Don't blame yourself at all. My doctor told me to introduce at 1 and I did and Ela went into anaphalatic(sp) shock.To sesame in fact which I would not have even thought to question.I have no family history either, and remember feeling so helpless but other than allergies I have a healthy girl and it could be alot worse. It is scary but there are so many support groups out there. Here is a link to my blog with a few updates on the allergies and I will try to link the Allergy blog that I follow regularly.

    http://ourlittlepeanut-jessibaran.blogspot.com/2012/03/my-sweet-tomato.html?updated-min=2012-01-01T00:00:00-08:00&updated-max=2013-01-01T00:00:00-08:00&max-results=16

    http://ourlittlepeanut-jessibaran.blogspot.com/search?updated-min=2013-01-01T00:00:00-08:00&updated-max=2014-01-01T00:00:00-08:00&max-results=6

    ReplyDelete
  10. How scary!!! I am glad he is ok! Thinking of you! xox

    ReplyDelete