Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Wedding Advice


Sorry I was mia yesterday. They have got me working like crazy over here. We also have some big news going on at home. More on that tomorrow. Here is a blog I wrote with some advice. Take it or leave it.


The first mistake we made was inviting too many people. We believed those wedding websites that say 30% of the people you invite will RSVP no. Our wedding was on a Sunday too! I figured during the school year people wouldn’t be able to come to a wedding Sunday evening. I think 1% of the people RSVPed no.

The other problem with our guest list was not sticking to a strict number. If you are having your reception indoors find out what the maximum capacity is before sending out invitations. We also had a parent, not going to say who, that kept adding and adding to the list. I suggest telling your parents and the future-in-laws a specific number of people they are allowed to invite and don’t let them add.

We had people come to the wedding that weren’t in the original rsvp. But we also had people who rsvped yes cancel all the way up to the day of the wedding. So it all worked out in the end.

Get a layout of how the room will be set up before time if you are doing assigned seating. I did not do this and the day of the wedding my aunt was labeling tables and we realized where the groom sat and where the bride sat were opposite of the families. She switched the tables right by us to match, but everyone else was on opposite sides. I don’t know if they noticed, everything seemed to go fine.

I put a lot of thought and time into the seating arrangements. I was so thrilled to hear that our group of people that are our friends from so cal loved their table. They even want to hang out with the new friends they made! The only awkward thing was my step uncle’s step daughter. Did you follow that one? My grandfather remarried about 25 years ago and his wife has a son. My step uncle. He married a woman that has a daughter. His step daughter. Our tables had 10 seats. There was a table with my parents, my aunt and uncle, my two cousin-in-laws, my grandparents, and the step uncle and his wife. There was no room for his step daughter. I think she is a freshman in high school. I put her at a table with my very sweet cousin and her husband, my cousin that I thought she knew, and some other young, nice people. Apparently she was not ok with this. I walk into my wedding and am looking around the tables and I see some older woman sitting at amongst these younger adults. I was like who is that? I realized as the night went on and my step uncle went and sat at the table for awhile, that she was making her mom and step dad sit there. What is more awkward? You politely sitting until everyone gets up and dances and then you can go sit by your mommy or having your step dad sit with people he has nothing in common with? I think she needs to grow up! So annoyed by that!


This was all the advice I could think of at the time. Please add more for the readers or ask me questions if you have any.

No comments:

Post a Comment