Monday, December 20, 2010

Things no one tells you

Hubby and I were sitting at the mortgage lender's office again the other night and I made a joke that we should write a book telling people when in their lives they should do things. This past year we have said several times, "I wish someone would have told us that?!"

For example, I know pregnancy isn't the easiest thing to control, but our advice is to get pregnant at the beginning of the year. That way you only have to meet your insurance deductible once because you have all your doctors appointments and the labor in the same year. Don't be like us and get pregnant in August and then move and switch insurances and have the baby in April. We've had to meet the deductible a few times, so instead of just paying $500 out of pocket and then a percentage the rest of the time we have had to pay $500 a few times. Learn from my mistakes people!

This one isn't that big of a deal but if you wait to buy a house until you have filed for your taxes jointly for two years, then you won't have to worry about your maiden name. We are having to give the mortgage lady stuff from 2008 before we were married and my tax stuff was in my maiden name. Just a pain in the butt.

I don't know what the rules are country wide but in California there are all these new rules for buying a house that was flipped. The house we are buying was bought at a foreclosure auction and then fixed and put back on the market. At first we thought that would be better than dealing with a foreclosure bank owned property, but we didn't realize there would be extra hoops for us to jump through. So just a warning to those of you looking at houses. You can email me for more details if you would like them. Just wish when we were looking someone would have told us.

The HVAC guy looked at the heater today and got it working for way less than worst case scenario. Hubby and I are pretty happy about it. I think we are going to continue to go forward with buying the house. Some of the things that need to be fixed are because the house was built in 1997.

6 comments:

  1. Being a grown up really is overrated lol! I just took my last pill on Sunday so hopefully we'll be that couple that gets pregnant at the beginning of the year :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. All good things to know! I'll come back to this in a few years when I'm ready to be a grown up :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is interesting about the flipped house rules... Not sure if there are any rules here about that. We did however, buy a forclosure, and buying from the bank was great becuase they were eager to sell...but I guess people who own can also be eager to sell...
    ugh. Sorry about the insurance!!I cant believe they are charging you the deductible twice since it is ONE pregnancy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ouch. Paying the deductible more than once sucks! I'll have to take your words of advice for when it's my turn! (No baby yet, but soon! Maybe?) LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It sounds like you're learning and could definitely write the book now!

    ReplyDelete