Saturday, March 8, 2014

Birth Story part 2

When I left off I was being wheeled to the o.r.

When we had Chase we were in a big room with just a nurse. The o.r. was a smaller room with bright lights and a crowd. Everything was different from the things my legs were in to Hubby not holding my leg.

I pushed for probably 15 or 20 minutes. I felt like with each push Kyle would be arriving. I also had my amazing doctor, who had cried with me the day before about making our decision, there motivating me. Once his head was out everyone was telling me to open my eyes and I tried to ignore them since I didn't enjoy seeing Chase like that but I opened my eyes and saw my goopy son make his arrival into the world. Then they placed his goopy self on me and I didn't know what to do. He was goopy!

The nurses took him away to clean him up and measure him and we started trying to get Austin in position. There was another doctor there to help my doctor and they used an ultrasound. Austin, our problem child, kept trying to stick his hand out. My doctor said I'm holding his hand and at one point she was holding his foot.

There was a moment when the room went silent and I could see it in my doctor's face that she was about to make the call to do a c section to get Austin out. I sent up some serious prayers. In a matter of seconds they were telling me to push and they got a vacuum and he arrived! I don't even remember if they put Austin on my chest before cleaning him up.

The next thing I remember is getting a clean and eerily quiet Kyle put on my chest. I'm assuming the placentas were delivered. I don't even know if one came out after Kyle and then one after Austin or how that all works. My doctor had to stitch me up and then they wheeled me back to the delivery room to recover for a little while.

Our family saw the boys when Hubby was walking back with them and then they went to lunch so we had some time to try and get them to nurse and they got their first baths. Austin had inhaled a lot of amniotic fluid and was making some concerning grunting noises and our sweet friend the nurse was doing everything she could to keep him with us.

I'm still so amazed that I carried these boys to 38 weeks. Had them vaginally. They spent no time in the nicu. We left the hospital the next day. I'm so grateful for this outcome and of course two perfectly healthy baby boys! God is so good!


  1. What an amazing story! You are amazing! :) So happy for you all.

  2. That is incredible! I am so happy that everything went so well from you - from being able to carry them to 38 weeks and delivering them vaginally! You are awesome!!

  3. Yup. you did amazing! Love that you got to go home the next day with twins. that's really great!

  4. I'm just now getting around to reading this as I was on a little blogging break after my daughter was born, but congrats! How amazing that you were able to have a vaginal delivery and that you carried twins to 38 weeks! I ended up needing a c-section with my little lady because I just couldn't push her out. Every time they repositioned her the heart rate dropped and turns out the cord was wrapped around her feet. It was so disappointing but I was so happy that she was okay! Glad to hear everything went well for you!!!